Mr George Edwards is the Catalyst International mining & minerals industry expert who is internationally recognised for his achievements in the mining industry and international business.
George is a prominent person in the coal industry internationally for over 40 years, including having part owned and operated three export coal mines, since establishing his own companies almost 30 years ago.
Among his many achievements include:
- Leading the Australian Government Sponsored Coal Mission to South America
- Member of the first Australian Coal Mission to China
- Member of the Australian Steaming Coal Survey Mission to the USA Member of the Australian Ministerial Coal Mission to India
- Former President of The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM) initiating the JORC and VALMIN Codes
- Former International Chairman of the Coal Preparation Congress Awarded the Mineral Industry Consultants Association’s Gold Medal in 2011 (the 4th Gold Medal awarded since 1981)
- Current Executive Chairman of the Australian Mining Association.
George’s experiences have covered all areas of the coal industry from exploration to management, trading activities in coal, coke, iron ore and other minerals and bulk materials. He has expertise in most areas of the steel industry and sectors of the power industry. He has authored some 150 papers internationally. In 2007, he was invited judge of the Business Excellence Awards for United Arab Emirates in Dubai. George consults to the Chinese Government through the China Mining Association, for whom he is the first appointed Senior Foreign Advisor, covering all minerals, including uranium.
- Chief Executive in Australia for Consolidation Coal Company of USA
- Chairman of Standards Australia, and had previously chair of the Environment, Materials and Safety Standards Sector Board, covering all minerals
- Chairman of SAI Global Limited (ASX listed) from listing in 2003 until 2008
- Chairman of Energy Council of Australia (from 1993 to 2006)
- CITIC Securities, China
- Peabody Energy, USA
- Gregg River Resources Limited, Canada
- PT Bukit Baiduri Energi, Indonesia
- Tenaga Nasional Berhad, Malaysia
- Trans Natal Coal (now Ingwe Coal), South Africa
- United Nations Coal Development Program
- SG Australia (part of Societe Generale Banque, France)
- The Carbon Trader, Australia
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Australia